Publications and Resources
Heirloom Seed Varieties Description and Photographs Powerpoint–
Check out a book on Livingston’s Tomatos —
Seed Saving and Heirloom Seeds Books
- ·Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener’s and Farmer’s Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving. Carol Deppe. Chelsea Green, 2000.
- ·Cornucopia II: A Source Book of Edible Plants. Stephen Facciola, Kampong Publications, 1998.
- · Garden Seed Inventory. Seeds Savers Exchange
- · Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy. 2002
- · Heirloom Vegetable Gardening: A Master Gardener’s Guide to Planting, Seed Saving, and Cultural History by William Woys Weaver, 1999.
- · Organic Seed Production and Saving: The Wisdom of Plant Heritage (Organic Principles and Practices Handbook) by Bryan Connolly, 2011.
- · The Complete Guide to Saving Seeds: 322 Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, Flowers, Trees, and Shrubs by Robert E. Gough and Cheryl Moore-Gough, 2011.
- · Saving Seeds: The Gardener’s Guide to Growing and Storing Vegetable and Flower Seeds (A Down-to-Earth Gardening Book) by Marc Rogers and Polly Alexander, 1991.
- · Garden Seed Inventory: Inventory Of Seed Catalogs Listing All Non-Hybrid Vegetable Seeds by Kent Whealy, 2005.
- · Heirloom Seeds and Their Keepers: Marginality and Memory in the Conservation of Biological Diversity by Virginia D. Nazarea, 2005.
- · Gardening With Heirloom Seeds: Tried-and-True Flowers, Fruits, and Vegetables for a New Generation by Lynn Coulter, 2010.
Seeds Alliance— http://www.seedalliance.org/Home/
International Seed Saving Institute— http://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html
Seed Saving Guide— http://sustainablemethow.net/documents/SeedSavingGuide.pdf
Heirloom Organics— http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/guidetoseedsaving.html
Seed Savers Exchange— http://www.seedsavers.org/Content.aspx?src=helpfullinks.htm
Saving Our Seed—http://www.savingourseeds.org/index.html
Seed Ambassadors http://www.seedambassadors.org
Heirloom Seed Companies
Seed Savers Exchange— http://www.seedsavers.org/
Victory Seeds— http://www.victoryseeds.com/
Reimer Seeds— http://www.reimerseeds.com/
Sand Hill Preservation— http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/
Sustainable Seed Company— http://sustainableseedco.com/
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange— http://www.southernexposure.com/
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds— http://rareseeds.com/
Organic Garden Books
- · Start with the Soil: The Organic Gardener’s Guide to Improving Soil for Higher Yields, More Beautiful Flowers, and a Healthy, Easy-Care Garden. Grace Gershuny. Rodale Press, 1993. (Organic gardening begins with soil fertility and this is an easy to read book on understanding and promoting soil fertility)
- · The Book of Garden Secrets. D. Patent and D. Bilderback. Firefly Books, 1997. (this is an excellent organic guide to growing vegetable crops useful for home gardeners and farmers)
- · The New Organic Grower. Eliot Coleman. Chelsea Green Publishing, 1995.
- · The Organic Gardener’s Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books) by Fern Marshall Bradley, Barbara W. Ellis and Deborah L. Martin (Feb 2, 2010)
- · Rodale’s Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener by Fern Marshall Bradley, Barbara Ellis and Ellen Phillips (Feb 3, 2009)
- · Rodale’s Illustrated Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening by Anna Kruger, Maria Rodale and Pauline Pears (Apr 18, 2005)
Gardening and Seed Saving Videos
Seed Ambassadors on YouTube— http://www.youtube.com/user/SeedAmbassadors
Invisible Gardener on YouTube— http://www.youtube.com/user/invisiblegardener
Johnny’s Selected Seeds Videos— http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-video.aspx